Monday, March 23, 2009

How to Make Grandma's Best Spaghetti

How to Make Grandma's Best Spaghetti

I can taste it just thinking of the ingredients. This is my grandmother's spaghetti recipe, she is a first generation American. This recipe is good dolled up with meat and veggies or simple with just the spices. Sorry there are not many quantities, I am used to cooking with a pinch of this, a dash of that until it tastes right.

Things You’ll Need: Tomato Sauce, Fresh Garlic, Olive Oil, Basil, Oregano, Sage, Thyme, Rosemary, Marjoram, Savory, Hamburger Meat (optional), Onions (optional), Mushrooms (optional), Kidney Beans (optional), Red wine (optional).

SAUCE - The longer the sauce cooks, the better it tastes. I like to slow cook it for hours in my crock pot. Pour tomato sauce into pot, add spices (use fresh when you can), if you do not have all of the spices, they come combined in Italian Seasoning. Sauté garlic in olive oil for 1-2 minutes on medium. Then pour garlic into sauce.

OPTIONAL - Onions and mushrooms. Sauté onions and mushrooms in olive oil for 2-4 minutes over medium heat, then pour into sauce.

OPTIONAL - Slow cook hamburger meat in a sauté pan. After it is browned, pour it into your sauce from step one.

OPTIONAL - Kidney beans are very healthy and I love to add them in for extra nutrition for my kids. You will find them very delicious in this recipe.

OPTIONAL - Red wine. I think it is really a necessary ingredient, but if you are against it, I will understand.

SLOW COOK - Cook your sauce on low for as little as 15 minutes or as long as 3 hours. The longer you cook it the better it takes.

SERVE SAUCE over your favorite spaghetti. I prefer whole wheat. It is awesome with my Grandma's Garlic Bread.

Just reading this recipe takes me back to my childhood and the delicious meals and fun parties we had a Grandma's house and especially Grandma's Best Spaghetti.

No comments:

Post a Comment